If you have trouble with your air conditioning system, remember you can always call us for help and service. But here are a few simple things to try before calling us to your home for a service visit.
Air Conditioning Equipment Checklist
- Check your thermostat to make sure it is on the “cool” setting.
- Make sure your outdoor air conditioning (condenser) is running.
- Bad weather and lightning can cause breakers to trip. Verify that your circuit breakers in the electrical panel are all in the “on” position. This electrical panel is usually located in your basement on the wall where the electric enters your home.
- Check the power switch on the side of the furnace to make sure it’s in the “on” position. This switch must remain on year-round for operation of the furnace and air conditioner. You need this switch “on” to use the blower motor of your furnace for your air conditioning.
- Be sure to change your filter frequently (it should be changed every month for the 1-inch style). An extremely blocked filter will reduce airflow and can cause your a/c to freeze, leak water, and possibly damage the furnace.
- Check all return air grilles to make sure they are not blocked by furniture.
- Verify that all supply air registers are open and blowing air. (The return air grilles are normally located on your walls and are wide and flat.)